A National $5,000 non-acquisitive cash prize for contemporary visual art. Formerly known as the Williamstown Festival Art Prize, The Substation Contemporary Art Prize is open to all mediums across the visual arts including, painting, drawing, photography, print, sculpture, installation, digital and video performance and aims to encourage innovation in contemporary art practice.
Finalists of the prize will participate in a public exhibition that will inhabit the industrial exhibition spaces of The Substation, Newport. This prize has a National reach and is open to artists from around Australia and elsewhere.
- 3 September – 25 September 2011
- Winner announced at opening reception Friday 2 September 2011
- $5,000 Winner
- $1,000 People’s choice
- $1,000 ‘The Westie’ Hobsons Bay City Council award for local artist
- Alex Baker, Senior Curator of Contemporary Art, NGV
- Karen Quinlan, Director, Bendigo Art Gallery
- Jessica Bridgfoot
- $25 non refundable
- up to two separate entries per artist
- Applications close 5pm Friday August 5 2011
- Finalists notified Friday 12 August 2011
- Works to be received by Friday 26 August
- Please direct all inquiries to the curator, Jessica Bridgfoot: Jessica.email@example.com
- P +61 3 9391 1110
History of the Prize
The Substation Contemporary Art Prize showcases excellence in contemporary art across all mediums. The Prize has evolved from the Williamstown Festival Contemporary Art Prize which was held at The Substation from 2002 – 2010. The Substation would like to acknowledge the work of the Williamstown Summer Festival and its Committee of Management who oversaw the development and successful delivery of the Art Prize throughout its long history.