Twelve years ago, Noel Miller unexpectedly walked out of a job as CEO in a large general practice organisation to take up his lifetime dream of being a full time artist. It has been a move he has never once regretted.
Based in Brisbane, Noel Miller is an artist and tutor with wide experience, particularly in the areas of landscape painting, mixed media on canvas, print making & drawing. He has been a finalist in the Norvill Prize, Blake Prize, Jacaranda Drawing Award and Kedumba Drawing Award and a winner of the Warwick Prize. Since 2002, he has held 18 solo exhibitions as well as being in numerous group shows.
Noel has been an artist in residence in Queensland and Sweden, guest lecturer on painting and photographing the landscape (in the Antarctic) He spent six summers lecturing, painting and drawing on a cruise ship in the Antarctic. He has also spent five years taking groups of people to paint en plein air in outback Australia and has taught multimedia in a number of regional settings.
His work is included in collections both nationally and internationally.
Artist Statement – My Iconic Women
Several years ago, my first gallery dubbed these drawings the “Iconic Women Series”. I have continued to call them that.
I love to work in charcoal on good archival paper and use the grain in the paper to heighten the technique. I sometimes use a touch of one colour pastel, usually a strong colour. I use collage to varying degrees, using quality papers. And sometimes I use both pastel and collage with the charcoal.
They are very popular and I do several series each year. My first series was called “Fascinating Women”. In 2011, the “Umbrella Ladies” proved very popular. Some are included here. I plan to do a “Rainy Day Women” series this year (2012). Each year I do a small series of the single portrait work and another series with two or three ladies in each one. These drawings are all inspired by fascinating women that I know, particularly my daughter, Phoebe, my muse. I am happy to be contacted by buyers to tell them the story behind their particular lady they have purchased.
The ladies all set out to be fascinating in their own way. They always have a very confident look and their eyes radiate their mysterious personalities. I love that some people make up their own story about their drawing. I love every one of them. People ask how I can bear to sell them all and I tell them it is because all art is made to be loved and appreciated.
one hundredth gallery is proud to be working as a sales agent for Noel Miller.
To enquire about, or purchase Noel’s work, please contact Charles at one hundredth gallery at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0413 00 1234.
- Since 2002, Miller has held 29 solo and group exhibitions in Brisbane, Sydney Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay and Roma
- 2004 Finalist in The Jacaranda Acquisitive Drawing Award and the Blake Prize.
- 2005 Finalist with two drawings hung in the 2005 Blake prize.
- 2006 Finalist in the 2006 Norvill Prize for Landscape
- 2006 Won the 2006 Warwick Art Prize.
- 2006 Chosen to appear in a documentary series for ABC Series “Painting Australia”
- 2008 Finalist in the Norvill Prize for Landscape
- 2009 Finalist in the invitational Kedumba Drawing Award
- 2011 Finalist in the Lethbridge $10,000
- 2011 Finalist in Norvill Prize for Landscape
- 2005 Artist in Residence at Redcliffe High School
- 2007 Inaugural Artist in Residence School of Integrative Biology, University of Queensland
- 2009 One month residency at Konstepidemin Art Institute in Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2011Three month residency at Konstepidemin
- Warwick Regional Gallery collection
- University of Queensland collection
- Miller’s work hangs in private collections in Australia, USA, England, Sweden, Egypt and Japan